The effective management and preservation of documentary heritage to protect national identity, accountability and memory.
To systematically manage and preserve evidential records of public authorities and to preserve private archives that reflect the history and culture of the nation
Objectives and Functions
The Objectives & Functions set out in the National Archives Act No.48 of 1973 and National Archives (Amendment) Act No.30 of 1981
- Ensue official custody and physical safety of public records.
- To make them available for reference and study.
- To conduct record surveys in Public Institutions.
- Serve as the legal depository for Newspapers and Publications printed in the Island.
- Conduct training workshops in Records Management and conservation.
- Implement the Printing Presses, Printers and Publishers and Newspaper Ordinances.
- Preserve and Indexing of the private collections deposited in the Department.
- Conservation of records at religious institutions
Legislations & Regulations