Mr. A Dewaraja

Director

1966-1983

Amarawansa Dewaraja was the fourth Government Archivist and Registrar of Books and Newspapers, appointed by the Public Service Commission in 1955. He had been acting Government Archivist since June 1959. A graduate in Sinhala language Honours, Mr. Dewaraja joined the Department of Archives as an Assistant Government Archivist in 1953. He followed a specialised training course in Archival Administration in the United Kingdom and also studied 17th-century modern Dutch language at London University. From 1942 to 1962, a major part of the archives was housed in Nuwara Eliya, and thereafter, the records were shifted to Vidyodaya University from 1962 to 1970. In 1966, the department was renamed the Department of National Archives, and the title of Archivist was changed to Director. On 02.05.1970, a foundation stone was laid to build the National Archives with seven stories. Mr. Amarawansa took necessary action to create the National Archives Law No. 48 of 1973 to establish systematic records management and conservation in the public sector.

Department of National Archives Sri Lanka

Department of
National Archives
Sri Lanka

Last Modified: 2024-05-29 09:58:09~ Server Time: 2024-07-15 01:05:53